Do you keep failing in your Taubah? Try this simple tip


O
ur life is an examination. And as with all other examinations, we have some question papers to solve here. Each person has a different set of papers to answer, which essentially means that we all have different trials and temptations which we need to overcome and come out clean with flying colours. Something might be a trial for me, but it might not be a trial for you, and vice-versa. For example, I might be addicted to the use of foul language and my test, thus, is to control my tongue. You, on the contrary, might have perverted eyes, and using foul language does not come naturally to you. So your test lies in controlling your eyes and my test lies in controlling my tongue.

But why these examinations at all? The idea behind putting people to trial is to purify them and purge them of all inner impurities, so that they might develop qalbe saleem (a sound heart). This concept has been elaborated in the Qur'an and the Hadith at many places, by giving various examples and has been explained in many different ways. All acts of worship are also intended at developing this qalbe saleem. And it is people with Qalbe saleem who would enter Paradise [Surah ashShu’ara]

The Prophet has informed us that our sins put a black spot on our hearts. The more we sin, the more this black patch increases in size, and there eventually comes a time when the heart is rendered totally black like an old rusted piece of junk. This has been alluded to in Surah alMutaffifeen as well. The people who meet God with such hearts would be driven to hell.

So the object of the entire test lies in saving our hearts from getting rusted and using the trials to make them saleem instead. So how do we do it? We sin, right? We all do. Each sin puts a black spot on our hearts and our task is to wash it off. How? By repenting to God, turning towards Him, which in Islamic terminology is called Taubah.

Coming back to our temptations. My temptation, in the example I have offered, is to use foul language and expletives. So my test lies in controlling it and turning towards God every time I use bad words. But even after repenting, I sin again, then repent again, then sin again and this process goes on and on. Feeling embarrassed, I want to get rid of this sin. But how?
I think I have a solution.

You see, we continue to sin after repenting probably because we have it at the back of our minds that God would forgive again. I'm not talking about deliberately rebelling against God or taking Him for granted, for that does not behove a Muslim at all. I'm taking about those sins which we commit because of lapses and the subconscious belief that God is Ghafoor and Raheem, that He would cover me in His mercy and accept my repentance. So we tend to sin even after repenting. We know about the Day of Judgment and the Plains of Hashr, but then we also placate ourselves by saying that God is more merciful than a 100 mothers. Or we tend to deceive ourselves by assuming that God would consider our acts of worship and how loyal and devoted we have otherwise been.

What is the solution then? The solution, my friend, is to get the Prophet into the picture.

There is a Hadith that says, “I guarantee a place in Paradise to him who furnishes me a guarantee that he would be diligent with his speech and private parts.” My sin, in this example, relates to speech. And if you think of it, almost all sins fall under these two categories. So having exhausted all my efforts at adhering to my Taubah, I try this option. I promise the Prophet that I would henceforth be diligent with my speech and private parts. A solemn promise. As if I have taken this oath physically standing in front of him, making him a witness to my Taubah. Now see the difference. I bet you won't sin again. Give it a try if you don't believe me.

Why does this happen? You see, the love and respect and reverence we have for our Prophet is unparalleled. You hurl expletives against any Muslim, abusing his mother, his father, his sister... chances are he would ignore you and take it in his stride. But have you noticed how even an unpracticing Muslim gets irked and even furious at the slightest insult against the Prophet? This love and reverence cannot be explained in words. Non Muslims cannot even understand it.

Now imagine yourself standing before God on the plains of Hashr. And the Prophet is standing right there witnessing your trial. Charges against you are spelt out one by one. Tell me, would you like to be held guilty of committing a sin that you had solemnly promised the Prophet you won't? And the Prophet is watching you! Would you be able to stand in his presence and see him in the eye? Do you expect him to smile at you? What if he turns his face away? What if he feels let down because of you? What if he feels embarrassed of you? What if....

My friend, Aamir, had once asked me how would I feel if I see the Prophet smiling at me on the Day of Judgement? I asked him how would he react if the Prophet saw him near his fountain of Kauthar from a distance, came up to him, hugged him tight and said, ‘Shabash beta, well done. I'm proud of you’? He replied he would start crying like a baby.

How would you like the Prophet to meet you?
How would you like to face him?

Try this tip and let me know if it works for you. It could be any sin. Just promise the Prophet you won't repeat it again, and see the magic unfold!

- Dr. Parvez Mandviwala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homosexuals and Homosexuality- Compatibility with Islam

40 Lessons We Should Learn from the Hudaibiyah Expedition

If Khuda, then why not Ishwar and God?